Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Great Depression Cooking

I told you a couple of posts back about Clara's video recipes from the depression that I found interesting on Hillbilly Housewife. Last night SLK and I ate Poorman's Dinner. SLK gave it an okay as do I. If you like hash browns I think you and your kids will like this. I happen to love hashbrowns!

I used 4 potatoes diced, 1 onion diced, 5 hotdogs (I think Clara used 4 but I splurged and actually think 4 would have been right) and oil for frying. Clara uses a couple tablespoons of "sauce" that looked like spagetti sauce perhaps. I didn't have any so just skipped it and added kosher salt and fresh ground peppers.

I really think kids would like this recipe also. Let me know if you give it a try. Oh, and remember to be patient as you cook and brown the potatoes and onions. It takes a while.

Clara is 90 years old and sprinkles personal history in with her cooking lesson. She tells how she had to drop out of school because she didn't have stockings to wear.



2 comments:

Hezstone said...

Thanks for sharing, sounds pretty easy! My hub Loves potatoes and hotdogs...he should Love this..although he hates onions?? hmm?? LOL

Ziegler 7 said...

As soon as I saw the picture - before I even read your post I got excited because we have this all of the time!! sometimes it is our Sunday favorite. We don't put a red sauce on it - it is delicious all on it's own!!!! love you!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin