Monday, July 30, 2007

My Favorite "Play Dough" Recipe

I can't tell you how many batches of this I have cooked up over the ages. I usually like to divide the finished product in half or thirds and color each a different color. It's great fun to let the kids knead in the color of their choice when it cools a bit. Remember to store this in airtight containers so it won't dry out. Easy, cheap, fast and fun. . .what more could you ask for? :)

1 c flour
1 c water
1/2 c salt (table)
2 t cream of tartar
1 T oil

Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan, blending very well. Cook over medium heat until the mixture pulls away and forms into a ball (looks more like a glob than a ball actually). Remove from pan, cool slightly until you can handle it and knead until it is smooth. Divide and color with a few drops of food coloring. And speaking of cream of tartar, we were you know, I only have 2 recipes that call for that ingredient, this one and coincidentally SNICKERDOODLES. Happy play time all.

5 comments:

go boo boo said...

Thank you thank you thank you! We will do this first thing tomorrow and let you know how much fun we had! Love, Boo

go boo boo said...

Now I know why I bought cream of tarter, well, either for play dough or snickerdoodles!

Trevlyn said...

We made snickerdoodles two days ago and used up the rest of our cream of tarter....top of the shopping list it goes!!!

Emily said...

MarySue, you are so much fun! I love that you have a blog and are sharing all your clever ideas and talents with the world!

MarySue said...

E-If I'm sharing all my ideas on this blog I/it won't last long. But you are so kind and I really appreciate your comment and visit. I'm checking you out too girl and your blog gets may smiling and laughing..."what can brown do for you"!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin