Thursday, May 5, 2011

It's Cinco de Mayo

...and I really don't think I'll celebrate Mexico kicking France out from their country. It's going to be about 98* today so I don't think I'll even make taco soup.

But - in spite of the heat I'm working over a hot oven and hotter ironing board. Here's what I'm up to this morning.

I am not a fan of boxed cake mixes. I occasionally use them but much, much, much prefer a cake made from scratch. I am however a sucker for a good sale on said mixes. I've had many in my food storage and they are starting to get old. I've pawned several off on daughter MTN and friends but still with several on hand I called MTN and asked for her cake mix cookie recipe. I'm trying my first batch.
The basic recipe is:

1 box cake mix (I used yellow)
2 eggs
1/2 c. oil (NO surprise I used 1/2 c. melted butter!)
Add ins:
scant 1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped pecans

350* 10-12 minutes (mine took 13 min.)

They've turned out pretty well. Scratch is better but this is a good use of an aging cake mix.

Skippie has just given me another "killer" cake mix cookie recipe and I'll share that in the near future.


Here is one of two tea towels I recently purchase when sister Cindy and I were shopping at Cost Plus. This picture does not show just how vibrant the reds and oranges are. I thought they would be perfect to recover my garage sale kitchen stools.

Cousin Skippie suggested I iron on some stabilizer since stools get a workout. I'm so disappointed that Wally's doesn't carry much in the line of sewing needs anymore and it's taken me almost 2 weeks to plan a trip to JoAnn's. Got it. Lucky for me an associate there "knew her stuff" and guided me to a woven product that would hold up even better.

I've ironed the towels, ironed on the fusible backing and it's in the cooling stage. Dear KMS has loaned me her super duper upholstery stapler so hopefully I'll have this project completed later today. Just more show-and-tell for tomorrow.

AND, if you want some mothering smiles and inspiration go to my darling friend Becca's blog ::The Daily Grapefruit :: and read about the mother/daughter tea party she put on for her 3 gals yesterday (what did Mitchell do during this party?). Think you're too busy...she has 4 young children, a darling husband who works those long-lawyer hours plus serves in our ward bishopric and she's packing to move to Mesa. How could she leave me!!!! Aaaargh!
Happy day, msk

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin