Monday, June 16, 2008

The Queen

I am the queen of unfinished projects. It is embarrassing and almost shameful to admit. Here I am at my last sewing project.
So why am I excited and passing along yet another idea, craft, sewing project...because I think you might like it too and I have a lot more faith in you than I do in myself. How pathetic. But just in case I do get around to it, I'll let you know. Any of you have a shirt you want to send my way???? Feeling rather sheepish asking.
Some of you know that the pillows on my sofa are STILL not sewn but just safety pinned. Now that is pathetic. At a recent bridal shower at my house I had to warn a guest to be careful when she picked one up to cuddle. People don't usually pick them up but just lean into them and I've felt safe.

I like the idea of making pillows out of worn out Aloha Shirts for summer patio chairs and then old flannels for winter. Not my idea but a comment on the MS website where I found this idea.
P.S. I actually got my/Mom's old Singer out last week and repaired Kirby's leash and mended 1 other item. I'm not completely pathetic.
With this project, you can transform a button-down shirt with a torn sleeve or stained collar into a decorative throw pillow. Just create a square paper pattern, cut out the shirt material, sew the pieces together, and insert the pillow filling.

Tools and Materials
One shirt with a button placket
Seam ripper (optional)
Measuring tape
Paper, for making pattern
Scissors
Roll cutter ( think this is optional and you can just use scissors)
Pillow filling

Blue Shirt Pillow How-To

1. Using a seam ripper, remove any shirt pockets.
2. Determine the size of the pillow by laying the buttoned-up shirt out flat and measuring the width. The larger the shirt, the more options you will have.
3. Cut a paper pattern 1/4 inch larger than the pillow on all sides. (For example, a 16-inch square pillow will need a 16 1/2 inch square pillowcase.) To make a pillow with a decorative flange, simply add the desired flange size to your pattern on all sides. Using a roll cutter, cut down the center of the pattern, stopping and starting about 1/2 inch from the top and bottom.
4. Place the pattern over the placket so that the buttons poke out through the center cut. Slide the pattern up and down until the buttons are centered from top to bottom.
5. Using the roll cutter, follow the pattern, and cut out the front and back pieces of the shirt. Pin the pieces right sides together. Sew the front and back together, leaving a 1/4-inch seam allowance. (There's no need to leave a space for turning, since you will turn through the placket opening.)
6. Turn the pillowcase out, and press. The front of your shirt should now be the front of the pillow. If you're making a flange, topstitch a border around the edge of the already turned and pressed pillowcase. Insert pillow.


Now I think that seems doable. Kids would love having one of these on their beds don't you think.

2 comments:

Audra said...

That picture made me laugh! Too funny!

Now about the project - I will see if I can fit it in this summer. Love your ideas!

MarySue said...

Oh right...fit one more thing in your schedule!!! Thanks for your comments.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin