Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Remembering Gunny Man

What are your recollections of JOY SCHOOL? How I loved that time for & with Dori and Linny and being their teacher. Great lessons with morals behind them, gathering of sweet kids and socializing, and the best MUSIC. Oh boy, I've got joy, I do, do you. It starts in my heart and spreads to my head in a minute or two.....I hope you'll sing it to those who don't know it (please teach it to my darling grands). I know the siblings of our Joy School students even learned, loved and sang the music. One song was called, I think, Gunny Man...here comes Gunny Man. It tells of the gunnysack man going around and gobbling up toys, books, clothing etc. left out by children. The objects would be returned in a week. It was a good song/lesson to help children remember to pick up after themselves. I hope you will find the time to read the link(s) below from LDSLiving Magazine (& Joy School) that is a real duplicate of our old Gunny Man. I like the idea that the parent is not the baddy and responsibility is placed on the child. Well sweet ones, I hope you find joy in your day and we all remember to count our blessings. Loves.
http://www.ldslivingmagazine.com/articles/show/351

P. S. Joy School link: http://www.valuesparenting.com/joyschool/
"The central belief of Joy School is simply that children, while in their most impressionable years, should be taught life's most important thing, various capacities for joy. A related belief is that children suffer not from being started in academic learning too late, but in starting too soon, before they have a basis of social and emotional self-esteem".

3 comments:

Andy said...

Nice blog madre...first time visit and leaving very hungry. Cool slide show.

MarySue said...

My boy, my boy thank you. I'm doing this blog for you kiddos so I really appreciate you checking it out. Loves.

Rachel said...

Fun cool! I am getting ready to do Joy School for the first time with Mia. I am super excited and now know where to come for ideas:))

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin