Friday, September 4, 2009

By Popular Demand

Per request, here is my post on my political activism of this week.

As a concerned, sane American citizen I have issues with the amount of debt we are being forced into. I also have many concerns about aspects of the current health bill set forth by our president, especially the public option. I attended a town hall meeting last week and listened to what my congressman had to say, especially about his health care bill...only 25 pages long and I can understand a whole lot of it. I agree that changes are needed!!! I like Rep. John Shade*gg's bill that would allow medical insurance companies to compete just like our auto and home insurance companies do thus being competitive and working to get our business and keep prices lower. He also has provisions to cover the uninsured and much, much more. Why am I not hearing about other such bills????

This week I joined friends Cheryl W., Patti S. and Connie C. and we traveled to Flagstaff to participate in the TeaParty Express Rally that is traveling across country. We were part of what one person estimated to be a group of 3,000.

Being a firm believer in expressing myself with respect and courtesy, here is my handmade sign.
Sorry Cheryl that this is not the most flattering photo of you but it sure is good of Patti.Here's her good smile. Again, I forgot my camera so these are cell phone pics.
The crowd was well behaved and my fears of being in a sea of rednec*ks did not materialize-thankfully. No ugly shouting or confrontation. Alot of cheering and I felt like I was part of a grass roots efforts to share opinion and heartfelt feelings.
When I watch the mainstream media I feel like "we" are depicted as a bunch of uneducated, hickish, rednecks. This large crowd was anything but!!!

Here is part of the live television broadcast. Later that night on Fox news I didn't see myself but I did see my sign bobbing up and down.
The cloudy skies and cooler temperatures were also a big relief from the valley heat we left. On the way home we got in a monsoon with wonderful lightening and rain. Just wish it would have lasted longer.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! I'm glad that you are out there doing something while most of us (including me) just complain. But then I do live in redneck country...even though I don't announce that to many people!
Love ya...Skippie

Trevlyn said...

Nice job, ladies!

Maria Nissen said...

Hi Mary Sue-

I don't have your email, so this is the only way I have to contact you. I wanted to let you know that my dad has been in the hospital for over a week, recovering from Pneumonia and having tests done. He is o.k., but will more than likely be in there for 2-3 more days. Just thought someone from the ward should know.
Thanks,
Maria
maria.nissen@cox.net

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin