Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Blueberry Buckle

Berries are in such abundance in Oregon. I think I can safely say I've never met a berry I didn't like. I started making this dessert in my early 20's - straight from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook Mom gave me as a new bride. I love this cookbook. Do we love our 1st cookbook best? I actually adore many cookbooks and find them to be good friends. Hope you will enjoy this recipe, the W family did when I baked it!


Blueberry Buckle
1/2 c butter
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
2 c flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c milk
2 c blueberries
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 c butter
Preheat oven to 350*
Cream butter and 3/4 c sugar; add egg & beat till light & fluffy. Sift together 2 c flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spread in greased 11 x 7 x 1 1/2" pan. Top with berries. Mix 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c flour, & cinnamon; cut in butter till crumbly; sprinkle over berries. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes. Cut in squares. Serve warm.
Aren't recipe directions funny at times. Why do we have to cut this in "squares". Go ahead and be wild - cut in rectangles!

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing and it was devine. I wonder what a blackberry buckle would taste like. Maybe we should try that one.

Trevlyn said...

OK, twinges of jealously are beginning to set in...

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Are the berries from your own growing?

MarySue said...

cjane-Not this time, but blueberries my sister already had. When I've come to visit (in Oregon) in the past we've gone and picked gallons of huge blueberries; one of many things I love about my OR vacation. Since I'm an AZ gal I should learn to make prickly pear cactus jam don't ya think! And P.S. I've enjoyed your blog and I think other of your family members sites also-just too chicken to comment. So glad you paid an old gal a visit.

Christie K said...

Oh how I do love my first Better Homes cook book. I wonder who gave it to me? Oh right that was you. Every time I use it I still think of you.

go boo boo said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! Does Jodi have her own blueberry bush? I do recall a berry bush that Trev and Jake were picking from when we were there years ago. Can we invite ourselves up there next summer? It's been way too long!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin